Thursday, March 5, 2009

Delectable Duo

The music of Angus and Julia Stone reminds me a bit of Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova, the stars of the brilliant film about the magic of songwriting, “Once”. Except this duo is a brother and sister team. That’s right…brother and sister. Now I don’t know about you, but I can just barely imagine playing on the same hockey team with my siblings, let alone write and perform songs with them. Yet these two talented musicians from Sydney, Australia create something special when they collaborate. Listening to their music is a languid stroll through a beautiful garden full of nuanced and pretty music. Okay, that’s perhaps laying it on a bit think. Lets just say their music has a quiet elegance to it. Is that better? Julia’s voice goes from twangy drawl to a warbling and child-like while Angus’s is soft and pure and almost Nick Drake-ish, if I may be so bold as to make the comparison. Their music is folky without really being folk music and is rich in storytelling. I dare you to NOT like the sounds of Angus and Julia.

No comments:

Post a Comment