Thursday, November 18, 2010

Where The Buffalo Roam

If you enjoyed the music of the late 60s, but are totally sick of listening to “classic rock, “here’s a group you may find refreshing. Avi Buffalo was founded by Avigdor Zahner-Isenberg (small wonder he uses the moniker Avi Buffalo, eh?) when he was in high school in Long Beach. He put a band together with fellow classmates and eventually got signed by the renowned label Sub Pop. They released their first album this spring. Their music smacks of Buffalo Springfield (coincidence?) and a bit of the Byrds. It’s low-fi psychedelica with catchy melodies. I have to admit, Avi’s voice gets on my nerve at times, but overall, I find this group charming. Think 60s folk-rock with excellent guitar work. I just missed the opportunity to see them live and I could kick myself. I doubt they’ll become a household name, but I think they’ll develop a loyal following. Count me among those numbers.





P.S. This band is so new, I couldn't find any really good live performances of them. Search youtube in a couple months.

No comments:

Post a Comment