Tuesday, June 9, 2009

"Dude, I can out-obscure you any day."

I was in a restaurant a couple months ago, and i started talking to the waiter about music. We traded obscure band after obscure band until he made the statement, "Dude, I can out-obscure you any day!" So on that note, I'd like to present the group Anathallo.

The seven-piece chamber pop group hails from Mt. Pleasant, Michigan. They were formed in 2000 by Matt Joynt and you'll find their music pretty complex and, as usual, hard to describe. They're definitely indie-rock, but have influences from all over the place. Jazz, classical, 60s rock, Traditional Japanese, and they blend it with lots of percussion to create a sound that's all their own. Very intricate vocal arrangements, excellent musicianship, and well-crafted tunes. Some of their songs have a dark edge to them, but most are quite uplifting. Some even sound like they could be part of a mass.

Apparently the band has spent a lot of time on the road but have recently found a home in a church in Chicago. I wish them luck, however it's unfortunate to see a good group leave my home state of Michigan.



No comments:

Post a Comment